Cat news: Cat poisoner fears as five animals die horrifically in same spot | Nature | News
The RSPCA is still trying to find out if the five cats – three domestic animals and two strays – were intentionally poisoned or tragic accidents. Heartbreaking owner Michelle Davies’ three cats all showed the same signs of intoxication. They were all sluggish and some had blood stains in their mouths. “It’s absolutely terrible,” she said today. “We saw that all of the cats showed similar symptoms, became very sluggish, and felt uncomfortable so quickly. It was horrible to see and vets were absolutely certain the cause was antifreeze poisoning. “
The RSPCA has launched an investigation into the poisonings in the Lampeter Velfrey area in Whitland, Pembrokeshire and today warned pet owners to be vigilant and report information about the poisoning to their 24-hour emergency number.
The first cat to die was Mrs. Davies’ black and white queen named Freya. Three days later, her other pets, Sox and Tortoiseshell Smudge, had to be euthanized. It is also feared that two feral cats from the same area were poisoned.
RSPCA inspector Keith Hogben sympathized with Ms. Davies when investigating whether the cats were accidentally poisoned or whether they were deliberately attacked.
“Losing a cat is terrible, but it is unthinkable for three to experience such a terrible fate,” said Inspector Hogben.
“Indeed, the number of cats we know of have been poisoned in the area is cause for concern. We urge cat owners in the local community to be vigilant and be aware of the signs of suspected poisoning.
“Vomiting, depressed or drowsy behavior that appears drunk or uncoordinated, seizures, and difficulty breathing can be symptoms of a poisoned cat.
“Anyone who is concerned that their cat has been poisoned should try to stay calm, move the moggy away from the source, and contact a veterinarian immediately.”
While the animal welfare organization is investigating whether the incident was deliberate or a tragic accident, it is reminding the public of how antifreeze poses a threat to pets.
“Potentially dangerous substances like antifreeze should be used and stored responsibly and safely protected from nosy cats,” added Inspector Hogben. “The RSPCA does not know whether this suspected poisoning was deliberate or a tragic accident, but anyone with information can call our emergency number.”
Anyone with information should call: 0300 1234 999.