Cat news: Kitten fighting for life after eating lily flower pollen | Nature | News

Luna, the mischievous Ragamuffin kitten, managed to get to the beautiful flower arrangement that had been put out of the way on a table and was in danger of being poisoned after ingesting plant toxins. The quick-thinking owner suspected Luna had swallowed lily pollen and knew that her pet needed expensive emergency treatment. Then came another shock – her pet insurance had expired the day before.

Ms. Price shared today how she discovered she was faced with a vet bill costing thousands of pounds when she returned home for lunch and discovered traces of lily pollen from her bouquet around four-month-old Luna’s mouth.

She said, “I checked our insurance records to see that they had run out the day before. Even though I work, I couldn’t afford to pay that much up front.

“But I knew I had to get Luna the help she needed, so I called PDSA. They informed me that I am entitled to their new low cost service.

“They told me to bring her in right away and it was a great relief to know she was getting the treatment she needed.”

Ms. Price, 29, of Liverpool, took Luna to the nearby PDSA Hospital in Kirkdale for initial stabilization before taking the kitten across town to the charity’s 24-hour Huyton emergency room.

W.With blood tests confirming she had eaten enough pollen to cause kidney failure, Luna received intensive treatment around the clock for the next 48 hours to clear the toxins from her system, but her survival is a warning story for the Easter time.

Lilies are traditional Easter flowers that will appear in displays in the coming days and will be given away. However, pet owners need to be aware of the threat they pose.

PDSA advises people not to give the flowers to cat owners.

PDSA Veterinary Assistant Jemma Hughes explains, “Lilies are very popular in Easter bouquets, but all parts of the plant, including the flowers and leaves, are poisonous to cats.

“The greatest danger is that if a cat has some pollen on its fur, it will groom itself, as ingesting even a small amount can be fatal.

“All members of the lily family are poisonous to cats, and a number of other plants can also pose a threat to pets, including peace lilies, daffodils, lilies of the valley, laburnum, azalea and cherry laurel.

“If you think your pet has eaten something they shouldn’t, call your veterinarian immediately for advice.

“The sooner they are treated, the more likely they are to survive.”

Luna’s treatment at PDSA only cost Emily £ 200 as an inexpensive service offers low-income owners a wide range of benefits in order to get affordable veterinary care for their pets.

Ms. Price added, “PDSA made such a big difference. The care was great and the staff were very nice.

“I would have done anything to get Luna the care she needed, but it would have been a financial struggle, so that took a huge toll on me.”

“Cats suspected of even licking lily pollen should be seen immediately by veterinarians for emergency treatment to induce vomiting and given intravenous fluids and activated charcoal for gastrointestinal decontamination.

“If left untreated, cats can suffer long-term kidney damage and even die.

Comments are closed.