Dog news: Owners told pets at risk from contagious virus after puppy death | UK | News

Anyone who has recently bought a dog in Fitzwilliam, Kinsley, or Hemsworth has been told to take it to a veterinarian for a check-up. It comes after a 10 week old puppy dumped in the area dies of parvovirus, which is highly contagious and can be fatal.

Courtney Kershaw and her partner found the puppy, who was in poor condition, on their doorstep in Kinsley on Friday.

The puppy did not have a microchip and they held it overnight to see if anyone answered.

Ms. Kershaw told YorkshireLive: “He was shaking and in terrible condition.

“It was so thin and smelled awful – even when we washed it it didn’t go away.

“But we fell in love with him, so we kept him overnight while we waited to see if anyone would claim him.”

The next morning the puppy suffered from severe bloody diarrhea and Ms. Kershaw’s partner took him to the vets.

Ms. Kershaw set up a GoFundMe page to raise £ 1,000 for his treatment.

However, when she called the vets the next morning, she was told that the cockapoo had died overnight.

READ MORE: Urgent Dog Thief Warning After Cooling Doorbell Recordings

Parvovirus attacks the intestines, causing severe vomiting and diarrhea.

Dogs with the virus quickly become dehydrated and weak.

Parvovirus is highly contagious and can be fatal.

Puppies and unvaccinated dogs are most at risk from the virus.

Parvovirus spreads through faeces and can survive in the environment for up to nine months.

There is no cure, but treatments may include an IV, anti-nausea medications, and antibiotics to prevent secondary infections.

Comments are closed.