Dog news: Owners warned over ‘extremely toxic’ antifreeze | UK | News

As winter approaches, many drivers put the liquid – which lowers the freezing point of the engine cooling system – into their vehicles. While it can help prevent damage to their vehicles in cold weather, many types of antifreeze contain toxic chemicals that can be fatal to pets.

Speaking to the TeamDogs website, Dr. Lucy McKinna the dangers of the “extremely toxic” substance.

The founder of vegan dog food company Noochy Poochy said, “Although it is odorless, it has a very sweet taste and many animals willingly lick it up on spilled or leaked antifreeze from garage floors or driveways.

“It is extremely toxic – only a very small amount ingested can lead to poisoning and death from acute kidney damage.”

Depending on the size, even a few drops can be fatal for dogs, although the survival rate is low if the kidneys are badly damaged.

READ MORE: British passport warning as woman is banned from entering Spain

She said symptoms to look out for include lethargy, vomiting, incoordination, excessive urination, excessive thirst, low body temperature, seizures, and even coma.

These can appear within 30 minutes to 12 hours of ingestion, with jiggling or “drunk”, which is one of the first signs your dog has antifreeze poisoning.

In the second stage of symptoms, they seem to subside – however, Lucy warned that this change should “lure pet owners into a false sense of security”.

She added: “(In) 12 to 24 hours after ingestion, some signs seem to improve dramatically, but irreversible damage has already been done.

DO NOT MISS

“It is imperative that dogs are treated with the antidote (fomepizole) within eight to twelve hours of ingesting ethylene glycol, as they can die without immediate treatment.

“If you know or even suspect that your dog has consumed ethylene glycol, it is important that you see a veterinarian immediately as the antidote will only work for a short time.”

After 36 hours there is severe acute kidney failure with symptoms such as loss of appetite, salivation, bad breath, seizures, diarrhea and collapse.

Fortunately, the antidote, sometimes known as “4-MP”, is generally effective when given within the 8 to 12 hour window.

Dr. Lucy McKinna is the founder of McKinna Plant Labs, a UK start-up specializing in ethical nutrition expertise for dogs.

Noochy Poochy Adult is the brand’s flagship product and is available now.

Comments are closed.