Pet Care Tips Keep Dogs Safe From Rat Poison

(PETS / DOG HEALTH) We know rat poison is deadly, but how bad is it to your pooch? Ciara Black is a Global Animal Contributor to the Dog Help Network, a resource for dog health websites. Read on for essential information for any dog ​​guardian on how to keep your pet safe from rat poison. – Global animal

Photo credit: pawsforaminute.businesscatalyst.com

From Ciara Black

Rat poison is a very effective way of keeping rodents clear of your garden and home all winter long. However, rat poison is poisonous not only to rodents but also to dogs. Rat poison should “taste good” to rats and dogs eat rat poison when they have the chance
Dogs that eat rat poison are not uncommon for dog owners. Rat poisons and other rodenticides can be fatal even in small amounts. There are a few things to consider when handling dogs that eat rat poison.

Rat poisons and other rodenticides can be fatal even in small amounts. Rat poison can be ingested directly through a pellet or indirectly through consumption of a poisoned rodent.

What does rat poison do to my dog?

Rat poison and rodenticides are believed to cause internal bleeding in rodents. A rodent cannot die for a few days after consuming the poison, which means it slowly dies from internal bleeding. As scary as that sounds, the same thing is about to happen to your dog.

Rat poisons are made with blood thinners that prevent blood in your dog’s system from clotting and getting into the organs, stomach, and other cavities. If your dog has been poisoned, you will likely see blood in the urine, stool, saliva, and nosebleeds.

Rat Poison Symptoms in Dogs Dog

Rat poison can be ingested directly by ingesting poisonous pellets or indirectly by eating or playing a dead rodent that has been poisoned. Symptoms of rat poisoning usually don’t show up until a few hours after consuming it. Sometimes symptoms may not show up for 24-48 hours.

Symptoms to look out for include:

  • Pale gums
  • Blood in saliva
  • Low body temperature
  • Bruising
  • Weakness
  • Loss of coordination
  • Muscle spasms
  • Blood in the urine or feces
  • Rapid breathing

Your dog’s symptoms can vary, but it is important that you take your dog to the vet right away if you suspect he has ingested rat poison.

Things to consider

There is no doubt that if your dog is not treated properly, your dog could die from rat poison use. However, there are many different factors that will contribute to whether or not your dog dies. All poisons will react differently in your dog. Since the most popular anticoagulants are warafin based, it can be assumed that these factors are as specific as possible.

When wondering how much rat poison can kill a dog, consider these factors:

Size of your dog The first thing to consider is your dog’s size. A 10 pound dog is likely to be affected by rat poison more quickly than a 100 pound dog. A small pellet of rat poison may not be enough to keep a large dog sick for hours, but it could potentially kill a small dog very quickly.

In large dogs, it takes a fair amount of venom to show symptoms. Even if you don’t notice symptoms right away, always take your dog to the vet as soon as you suspect he has ingested poison.

How much was consumed – Obviously, how much rat poison your dog has consumed is a very important part in determining the severity of the poisoning. The easiest way to calculate how much poison your dog would have to use to get sick is to calculate 50 mg of poison per kg of your dog’s body weight.

Poison type – The various chemicals used in rodent venom are also very important. Some poisons affect your dog faster than others. Warafin is the most popular rat poison that causes internal bleeding. Some rodent poisons contain an ingredient called Bitrex, which makes the pellets taste bitter. This means your dog is less likely to eat the poisons if they taste bad.

Another thing to keep in mind is how old the poison might be. Old rat poison that has been sitting for a long time is less toxic to dogs than new pellets. This means that the poison in the pellets has likely dissolved over time.

If you suspect your dog has consumed rat poison, call your veterinarian right away, even if symptoms are not already present.

For more information about dogs eating rat poison, what to do in an emergency, symptoms and more, please visit www.ratpoisonanddogs.com

Comments are closed.